Caminito del Rey, more than lovely landscapes
We love performing the Caminito del Rey, not only because of its undeniable beauty: with beautiful landscapes throughout the journey: Gaitanejos Gorge, Valle del Hoyo and Los Gaitanes, but also for its history.
Those who decide to perform the excursion with us, are ready for hiking along its cliffs, gorges and so on, but they are very surprised when we start telling them the importance of this area in the contemporary history of Spain.
– The railway line between Malaga and Cordoba in the mid-nineteenth century marks a milestone, communicating the sea port with the interior, so it was possible to transport charcoal to the steel industry in Malaga. The most difficult stretch was the passage through the gorge of the Gaitanes, for which it was necessary to create numerous tunnels, viaducts and bridges.
– The electric power house in the early twentieth century. The idea came to look for alternatives to the charcoal. They wanted to take advantage of the difference of 100 meters high between the northern part of the gorge Gaitanes and the south in order to produce electricity. A diversion dam, a water canal, a tank and a electric center were built.
– The construction of the small balconies has to do with building a service road for accessing and maintaining the water canal.
– The Bridge of Ribera another milestone of Spanish engineering as it was the first bridge to be built with reinforced concrete.
– Chorro dam and swamp being inaugurated by King Alfonso XIII. He was so amazed that gave the title of Conde de Guadalhorce to the director’s work: Rafael Benjumea.
So you know, you have another reason to come! The tour guide will guide you while narrating many more anecdotes and stories, turning this day into an unforgettable trip.
We will await for you!